Yesterday I had the absolute pleasure of doing makeup on the incredibly stunning Emma and her bridal party.
Emma has been a client (and friend) of mine for a while so it was such an honour to be able to do her wedding makeup. I had a fricken blast! It always helps when one of the bridesmaids is your favourite hairdresser slash one of your besties!
I sound like a broken record when I say this, but seriously, when someone chooses me to be apart of their wedding getting ready crew I feel so honoured. I take my job very seriously and understand this is one of the most important days of your life; and the one day where you want to look your absolute best.
So because of this, I felt I wanted to share with you what exactly you’re paying for when you hire me. (I love love love what I do and I never want any of my clients to feel like they’re a bother to me. Just thought I’d clear that up before I continue).
# My time – emails, texts, phone calls. I pride my self in going above and beyond for my brides.
– Driving around to pick up products for your wedding like lipstick and eyelashes.
– Driving to and from you on the day of your wedding.
– I never book more than one wedding a day unless the time absolutely permits it. For example a 10am ceremony and a 4pm ceremony. This is because….
– Sometimes shit goes wrong, time goes too fast, the hairdresser might be running late. When this happens I have to help with things like getting you in your dress, cleaning up, helping with flowers etc etc. I often stay to help the bride get into her dress. Yesterday I got the bouquet ready, helped cut off some tags from the dress and I pinned the corsage on the brides father.
# My qualifications – I have done three seperate courses over the years to continue to keep my techniques and knowledge up to date. I am not a self taught artist – I have always ‘been good’ at makeup but I PAID to become certified. This ensures I have the knowledge to do makeup on anyone who sits in my chair.
# Touch up Kit – I always give the bride a mini kit that includes a small lash glue, translucent powder, powder puff and blotting papers.
# My makeup kit – I have spent sooo much money and time compiling my makeup kit. I need to have products that will work on all ages and skin types. This is expensive business!
The list goes on!
I am going to use Emma as an example and do a product breakdown with the cost of each product of what we used on her yesterday so you can see the exact costs of a complete makeup application.
- Mac Wipes – $28
- Mac Strobe cream – $55
- Clinique moisturiser – $49
- Mac Prep + Prime Fix + – $32
- Mac Fast Response Eye Cream -$55
- Make Up For Ever Smoothing Primer – $58
- Skindinavia Setting Spray – $49
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation Colours 2 and 9 – $95 each -$190
- Under eye and centre of the face highlighted with Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer – $41
Under eyes set with
- Mac Pro Emphasize – $30
- The yellow powder from the Kat Von D Shade and Light Palette – $65
- Set under eyes and then layered to highlight the cheekbones using the two lightest shades from the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette – $90
- Bronzed and sculpted with Nars Laguna Bronzer – $57
- Highlight and bronzed using Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow – $97
- Mac Blusher in Peachykeen – $41
- Primed with Mac Goundwork Paint Pot – $35
- Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage eyeshadow palette – $128
- Tom Ford Honeymoon eyeshadow palette – $128
- Mac eyeshadows in Bronze, Mulch, Espresso, Copperplate, Saddle and Charcoal Brown – $33 each – $198
- Mac Teddy Eyeliner – $32
- La Girl black gel liner – $11
- Ardell Demi Wispy Lashes – $7.50
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pro Palette – a mix of colours – $105
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel – Brunette – $42
Tears – when I leave because you look so beautiful – FREE
The total cost of all the products I used on Emma alone comes to $1653.50
I am going to be raising my prices by $5 a face from the 1st of January 2017 because I need to keep my prices inline with the products I use (which continue to raise their prices).
I hope this essay helps brides-to-be better understand exactly what you’re paying for when you hire me.