As someone who is quite seriously addicted to all things beauty, the thought of being able to shop in PARIS for French pharmacy skin care made me sick with excitement. I had a few things that I needed to stock up on that are staples in my kit, however I was not prepared for how overwhelming the choices would be.
There are pharmacies on almost every corner but the holy grail of pharmacies – City Pharma – lies in Saint Germain on ru du Four. If you ever visit Paris you must visit this place. Holy moly.
If you have something specific you need help with it’s not hard to spot the people who work there; they are all dressed in white lab coats and speak enough English to be able to guide you.
I bought things for my kit and for personal use (I have combination oily skin, prone to hormonal breakouts).
I will go over the stand outs of what I bought however I can’t go too in depth about everything because my skin has been MENTAL lately and I haven’t had a chance to get another face peel:
Caudalie Purifying Facial Mask – I have used this a few times, it’s nice and not harsh in any way. The way my skin is at the moment I feel like it needs something a little more oil absorbing but this is a great mask for dry, normal and slightly oily skin types.
Caudalie Gentle Buffing Cream – I wish I had bought 10 tubes of this stuff. It is a really fine exfoliating cream that smooths the skin like nothing else and leaves it moisturised to boot. The way my skin is at the moment it could probably take this being used on it every second day and it wouldn’t be too harsh.
Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré – This is a cream I have used in my makeup kit since the beginning. It is a great all rounder that can be used as a simple moisturiser on most skin types, makeup remover and is also great mixed with foundation to create a tinted moisturiser.
Nuxe Baume Levres Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm – I have heard so many good things about this lip balm and I am now a convert. It is super moisturising and is absorbed straight into the lips instead of sitting on the surface. This is a great product to use before using lipstick as it goes on quite matte.
Bioderma Sébium Mat – Again I wish I bought ten of these! It is the best gel moisturiser I have come across and does everything it says. It keeps the skin matte throughout the day and is now a staple in my kit and personal skin care routine.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar foaming gel – This is my new every day cleanser. The Effaclar line by La Roche-Posay is specifically designed for oily, acne prone and most importantly sensitive skin. I am not sure how the claim to be good for sensitive skin can be true because this contains sodium lauryl sulphate which is what makes it foam up and can irritate skin. This on me works a dream but I can’t guarantee it won’t be irritating on anyone else.
I bought a lot more but these are my personal tried and tested faves. Looking back I wish I:
– Had bought more Caudalie products
– Had gone on my own. I dragged my poor sister along to find it and she was so overwhelmed I felt reallllyyyy bad for her. She needed a new cleanser but went with a brand she knew from home – SkinCeuticals.
– Had done even more research on the brands offered and what was good from each one. There are so many brands all offering so much it was overwhelming even for me, someone who had researched for months!
– Spent more money! I think I ended up being so overwhelmed I didn’t buy too much from each brand but they’re all so good I should have just splashed cash and made it rain!
– City Pharma actually make their own versions of their best sellers such as Bioderma Crealine and I wish that I had gone upstairs to check out what they offered.
I fell in love with Paris so I know I will be back soon to shop up a storm!